Monday, September 15, 2008

Poll Results: How often do you talk about adoption?

So, what do y'all think about the poll results? A majority of visitors (53%) talk about adoption with their kids nearly every day, while the next largest segment talk about adoption every few weeks (33%). Seven percent hardly ever talk about adoption with their kids.

So how do you rate yourself? Do you talk about it enough? too much? not enough?

If you feel you're not talking about it enough, what is keeping you from talking about it? Some reasons I've heard through the years:

  • my child isn't interested or gets upset
  • I'm nervous about what to say
  • I'm afraid to say the wrong thing
  • I don't want to plant ideas in my child's head
  • I guess I'm still dealing with infertility issues
  • I'm waiting for her to ask
Anything else keeping you from talking adoption with your kids?

I know a poll like this is pretty artificial, because for most of us the answer is probably "it depends" -- sometimes it's all the time, sometimes it's hardly ever.

Anyone surprised by the results of the poll? If so, what surprised you?

I'll be getting another poll up in the next few days. If you have some ideas you'd like to see polled, let me know!

1 comment:

Jeff and Madeline said...

Love the new sidebar pic btw.

I was surprised by the poll in that some people rarely or never talk about adoption--maybe they don't have their kids home yet. I figured since the blog is called adoption talk and the people visiting are interested in the topic that all would be a-parents and that they would be looking to see how to talk, not if they should. Interesting.

I feel we are pretty typical (we talk daily or just about) and it seems most of us do.