Thursday, April 29, 2010

Chinese Orphan, Never Adopted, Seeks to Finish College Education

Miao Miao Dang grew up in a Chinese orphanage, with scoliosis, never adopted. She is now in the U.S. attending school to become a social worker so that she can work with orphans. The American family who was supplying her educational costs can no longer do so, and she's looking for help to complete her education. She tells her story at her blog:
I was born in a small city, LuoYang, in China, and my entire childhood was spent at the orphanage. Due to the one child-policy, most people tend to want boys. My biological parents abandoned me after I was born with a physical defect called scoliosis, so I do not know what they looked like and I do not have any information about my family history. Living in an orphanage, life was different from a family life. The nannies usually told me what I was supposed to do while I was young. I had to remember what I should do or what I should not do. There are many different ages of children living together, and I remember there were many girls of different ages who shared a room with me. In a family life, parents usually give a lot of attention to their children and remind them what they need to do. Having lived at the orphanage, I observed what life is like being an orphan. I learned to be self-motivated.

* * *

I am very interested in working with adoption agencies because my life experience helps me understand how important it is for children to have a home when they are young. Then they can have a better future. Now I am junior at Seattle University. I sincerely hope I can finish my education in Seattle then start my future. I look forward to new adventure and to become a professional social worker.
More information about her in an article in the Seattle University Spectator. Love Without Boundaries shared it on their facebook page and said, "We met MiaoMiao when she lived in the Luoyang orphanage during our cleft surgery trip there in 2005. She is such an amazing girl and has overcome so many odds. We wanted to share this article about her as we are all hoping and praying she finds a way to finish her degree."

2 comments:

malinda said...

One of the things I found fascinating about her story is that there seemed to be a commitment to the childrens' future at this small orphanage. How many times have you heard the story about orphan kids not going to school, being kicked out at age 14, and turning to a life of prostitution? These kids got a basic education in neighborhood schools, went to trade schools. . . . I know this might not be universal for orphanage kids, but it goes quite counter to the narrative we usually hear about aging out of a Chinese orphanage.

Anonymous said...

It was interesting, though, that she seemed OK with adoption. I left a comment on her blog and invited her to e-mail me. Brave young woman.