Monday, April 11, 2011

Student Guest Post: Shiloh Restored

by Kate Echols

Since I begin a course in Adoption Law this spring, I have been struck by the number of stories I am now exposed to that involve adoption. I feel that I am now able to see where adoption is occurring everywhere, and the stories are much more poignant to me. One of the most exciting and moving stories that I have recently discovered is one occurring in the lives of my friends Lali and Niji Stanley.


I met Lali and Niji through mutual friends when I attended an event at their home, a fundraiser for their non-profit organization called Shiloh Restored. I was immediately fascinated by the name and asked Lali to tell me all about her organization.

Shiloh Restored is a foundation to rescue baby girls from female infanticide in India. In 2007, Lali and Niji learned that there was still a major problem of baby girls being killed in many parts of India, due to cultural issues such as inability to care for the children. They immediately began traveling to India to view the situation for themselves, and in the spring of 2010 they founded Shiloh Restored. Lali and Niji have now created a plan to relocate to India to establish a home for the girls within the next two years. They are in the fundraising stages at the moment and are focused on being fully prepared to implement their plan overseas. They have a beautiful website with pictures, statistics, and updates on how people can get involved and support their mission. One of the most incredible parts of their mission is that not only do they hope to facilitate the adoption of these girls, but they are also committed to providing for their education through college for those who are not adopted. They have truly planned for their lives, both for the girls and for their own.

I am overwhelmed by seeing two people who have now devoted their lives and their hearts to this cause, to preventing a tragedy and creating an opportunity for joy. They are literally giving up their lives to move to India, although I would guess that they would both likely say that they have found their purpose, and thus it is no sacrifice. To see how two people can make such a change in the lives of children, to create a system to care for, educate, and hopefully facilitate the adoption of numerous children, is amazing. I am so glad to have met them at this time, as I am now so much more aware of the adoption issues in our world and have a very clear idea of exactly what will be entailed in their mission. Therefore I wish them the best and hope to support them however I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do we really need another orphanage/adoption agency in India? Adoption in India has been rife with corruption.

I'd rather see an organization that helps with education and support of poor families with girls. You can save a whole lot more that way.

malinda said...

NYT article today: A Campaign Against Girls in India
http://tinyurl.com/3semxa5