Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Photo Essay: Korean Adoption

A photo essay with poignant pictures of Korean babies placed for adoption, birth mothers from Korea, adult adoptees returning to Korea. . . a must-see.

To give you an idea, here are some of the captions -- you MUST. GO. NOW. to see the photos!
One week after her delivery, Sae-Rong, 18, put her baby girl up for adoption. She was unaware of her pregnancy until 7 months in, when she noticed she had gained weight. With strong objections from her family to keep the baby and no support from her boyfriend's family, she made the decision, like many Korean unwed mothers, to put her baby up for adoption.

While staying at a home for unwed mothers, she wrote a letter to her baby, saying " When we were sending you off, I wanted to keep you in my arms. How could I be giving up my own flesh and blood? Please don't forget about me and please look for me."

After escaping North Korea and living in China for the past five years, Keum-Joo, 30, made it to South Korea. There she delivered a baby at an unwed mother's home in Pyeongtaek. With no family and little support, she chose to place her baby boy for adoption so that he might have a better life than she could provide.

Go.  Bye-bye.  See ya later. . . .


Why are you still here?


GO!

2 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

thanks for the link--I enjoyed it!

Truly Blessed said...

For those interested, there is a very moving book entitled "I wish for you a beautiful life" (ed. by Yeong & Yeong). The book contains letters from Korean birthmothers to the babies they relinquished to adoption.

Please don't get angry with me for using the term "relinquished" - I don't know what the correct or sensitive term is.

For those curious about the book, here's a link: http://www.yeongandyeong.com/beautiful_life.php