Thursday, September 30, 2010

Profile of Mei Magazine

Thought y'all might enjoy this newspaper profile of Mei Magazine:
Traci Wright admits that she and her husband, Paul, were a little naive when they got the idea of creating a new national magazine and publishing it from their Brandon home.

"Frankly, if we had known what we were getting ourselves into, we probably wouldn't have done it," she said.

What they were getting themselves into, they soon learned, was an awful lot of work for virtually no money.

But after five years, Wright wouldn't consider giving up Mei Magazine. It's a passion for her and an important part of the lives of her thousands of readers.

Mei, which is pronounced "may" and is the Mandarin Chinese word for "beautiful," targets Asian girls who have been adopted by American parents. The magazine has a fairly small but loyal readership, Wright said. Subscribers total about 2,500 girls throughout the United States and a few in other countries.
My girls are part of that small group of subscribers, and I've even written a piece for the magazine, so you can count us as fans of Mei Magazine!

6 comments:

David said...

Thanks for the reminder of this awesome magazine. Just grabbed a subscription for our daughter who turns 13 this weekend!

No Bamboozle said...

My daughter looooves Mei, and thanks to Malinda for telling us about this great magazine.

Amy said...

I love this! My DD is only 3, but I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the link:)

Stinky Mouse said...

I wish this magazine was inclusive of boys.

Unknown said...

Hello. My name is Molly Shoap. I am fourteen years old and I am adopted from China. I wrote an essay about being adopted last year. I was wondering if there was any where that I could publish my writing for girls and boys like myself, who are adopted from China. Also, I think that it is equally important that parents read my writing as well.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.