Saturday, July 11, 2009

Speed-Blogging Camp

Today was the last day of camp, with the cutest performances at the closing ceremonies, topped off by a 5-hour drive home. I'm worn out, so thought I'd jot down a few things I want to remember to blog about and then fill things out later. So here goes!

1. The adult adoptee panel this morning was really interesting -- three sisters, two adopted from Korea and one domestically but transracially. Each seemed to have very different attitudes toward birth parents.

2. One mom told me that when they drove up to the building the first day, her daughter, who is the only Chinese child at her school, said with awe in her voice, "Look, mom, at all the brown girls!"

3. A panel of doctors from Gansu Province answered questions in one session for adults; my mom ran into one of them afterwards, and he was bemused: "Are ALL of these girls from China?!" He seemed stunned by the sheer number.

4. Whatever you do, never eat at the New World Chinese Buffet on 71st Street in Tulsa, OK!

6 comments:

Anne said...

We had a great time with all of the Seymores and the rest of our Ft. Worth "China" friends that we don't get to see often enough.

I have decided that in about fifteen years, you and Zoe will hit the adoption conference/China camp circuit, kind of like an adoption version of the Judds. With Grandma Fran along to man the book table. Maya, of course, will have blown y'all off for something else!!!

Anne

malinda said...

Ain't in the truth (about Maya, that is! Not so sure that Zoe won't have blown me off too by then!).

wblossom said...

We learned our lesson last year about the Chinese Buffet across from the hotel, sorry we didn't warn you!

malinda said...

You mean that place managed to stay in business for at least one solid year?! It's a mystery to me. . . .

Anne said...

I can't believe ANYONE was in there but us. It was absolutely, hands down, THE WORST FOOD I HAVE EVER EATEN.

anne

malinda said...

Not only were there other people -- there were actually 3 Chinese people there! I didn't see guns pointed to their heads, so I conclude they were from out of town or the owners! I can't imagine any other reason to wander in there if you know better.