Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"From her culture"

A funny comment from Zoe, as we were looking for a gift bag for my mom's birthday present yesterday (Happy 70th Birthday, Mimi!). My mom is from France.

After looking at EVERY SINGLE ONE in the store, Zoe said, "Well, I like the black and white one, but THIS one is from her culture." She pulled out the bag with the Eiffel Tower on it.

I admit, I found this hysterically funny. Only a child of transcultural adoption would say this! Of course, I didn't let on to Zoe that I found her comment amusing. I just complimented her on a great selection!

As difficult as it can be for transculturally adopted children to mediate cultural conflicts, it has a benefit that I wish would extend to all children -- sensitivity to culture and difference.

3 comments:

park it said...

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1894333,00.html

Americans Adopting Few Babies... title of article...


-Carol

malinda said...

Carol, I got an error notice from that link -- is it the article, Why Americans Are Adopting Fewer Kids from China?

If so, I posted a link to the article in April: http://chinaadoptiontalk.blogspot.com/2009/04/why-americans-are-adopting-fewer-kids.html

If it's a different article, could you re-send the link?

Thanks!

Jeff and Madeline said...

Happy Birthday Mimi!!!

So true Malinda. M is very aware of "cultures" and also "etnicity".