Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Well Done, Sister Suffragette



Today marks the 90th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment:  "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex."

Short and very, very sweet.  Though this song from Mary Poppins is more tongue-in-cheek than genuine homage to suffragettes, many a truth is said in jest, and I just plain love the exuberance of it!

Our daughter's daughters will adore us
And they'll sing in grateful chorus
"Well done, sister suffragette"
Well done, indeed.

4 comments:

Jeff and Madeline said...

Love it! I actually had to make an argument in college about this very song. :-)

Claudia said...

I love that song too!

Unknown said...

Oh I love it too! I don't remember that one, but that is exactly how it feels after an adoptee rights protest. Will have to steal this from you.

Dee said...

I love Mary Poppins. It wasn't until I was grown that I realized all the underlying themes in the film. I have a daughter old enough to vote but she says she has no interest in it. I guess I need to show her that film "Iron Jawed Angels" on HBO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StF3_Mj0tBg.