Saturday, August 7, 2010

Korea's Lost Children

Click here to listen to a BBC World Service (Radio) documentary, described as follows:

"I was abandoned in a public market in the beginning of winter", claims one Korean adoptee.

Every year, around 1,000 South Korean children are given up for adoption in Western countries. The overseas adoption programme began in the 1950s as the impoverished government's answer to the masses of mixed-race orphans from the Korean War.

All told, around 200,000 Korean children have been adopted overseas over the past 60 years. About 300 of them have since returned to live in Korea – and many are now involved in trying to change the adoption laws.

In this programme, BBC journalist Ellen Otzen meets Jane Trenka and Suki Leith, both of whom were adopted by American families, to explore the impact foreign adoption has had on them.

1 comment:

summer said...

I was adopted from Korea too, i was found in a river and some people from the orphanage found me when i was they presume 1 but i don't know my real birthday. I have 3 kids now and is there any chance of someone like me finding my birth mother???