Friday, December 25, 2009

Sheng Dan Kuai Le

When I saw this ecard at Tonggu Momma's site, I knew I had to steal it -- because we did have Chinese food for Christmas this year! We're having our big Christmas meal tomorrow when my brother and his family comes, so we went out for Christmas lunch. Of course, just about the only thing open on Christmas Day is Chinese restaurants -- something sufficiently well-known as to have spawned a song titled Chinese Food on Christmas (click here if you prefer the Chipmunk version)! The waitstaff were all over the girls trying to get them to speak Chinese, but the girls turned shy and wouldn't say a thing. I did get Zoe to say Merry Christmas, "Sheng Dan Kuai Le," once at least.

I won't rattle off all the girls' presents, but in keeping with the theme of the blog, here are the Chinese/adoption (more Chinese than adoption this year) related items: the Ling doll from Karito Kids for Maya (Zoe got the American Karito Kids doll since her name is Zoe, too!), which I'm delighted to have gotten for cheap at Tuesday Morning; Zoe got an Asian 18" Madame Alexander doll, and Maya a Caucasian one (since she wanted a ballerina doll, and this one came with a ballerina costume); Dover Press supplied many stocking stuffers -- small paper-doll sticker books of Chinese girls and costumes (all at a discount thanks to a tweeted discount code from Dawn at this woman's work!); the Ni Hao Kai Lan stuff was a hit, even with the 9-year-old.
So ends another lovely Christmas. We wish you Sheng Dan Kuai Le and all the happiness of the season! You gift me each day with your readership, and I so appreciate each one of you!

P.S. I should mention my favorite Christmas present, which I gave to myself -- a Kindle! -- which I can only justify blogging about by telling you that the first book I downloaded to it was Kinship by Design: A History of Adoption in the Modern United States. I've just barely started it, but so far so go. I'll post a review when I finish.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

For the past 5 years our tree has been decorated with traditional, Christian and Chinese ornaments. Our trees stay up until CHINESE NEW YEAR is over instead of the English New Year like most of our family.
Sure it is odd to some, but it is OUR holiday and we wouldn't have it any other way.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Happy Christmas, Malinda! And I'm glad y'all got a kick out of that card.

Anonymous said...

Meredith got the American Girl doll Ivy and Nihao Kailan, but she hasn't touched Kailan yet. Ivy is the only Chinese gift that has received any attention.
Sue (aka anonymous)