Friday, December 11, 2009

The Lost Children

CBS is focusing on the Samoan adoption scandal this Saturday:
CBS News will present, "The Lost Children," a "48 Hours" special, on Saturday, Dec. 12 at 10 p.m. ET/PT - the clmination of a two-year investigation by "48 Hours" into one of the largest foreign adoption scams in U.S. history.

Anchored by "48 Hours" correspondent Maureen Maher, who herself was adopted, "The Lost Children" profiles three families - Patti Sawyer, Mike and Kari Nyberg, and Elizabeth and Gary Muenzler - who adopted children from the South Pacific island of Samoa through the Utah-based Focus On Children adoption agency, only to face a heartbreaking decision years later.

"There exists a common goal for me as an adoptee and as a journalist, which is to find the truth,” says Maher. "I know from my own personal experience the challenge
adopted children face in learning where they came from and determining their own
identity."

"For the last two years, it has been a privilege, personally and professionally, to be a part of these emotional journeys. There is little room for speculation about the immense difficulties these children and their families face as they try to determine who they are and where they belong."
The link leads you to a preview video, as well as a short story.

3 comments:

Jeff and Madeline said...

I am very interested in watching this piece, I heard about it months ago. It has always been lingering in the back of my mind, I never found out the outcome. Off to see the video segment.

Jeff and Madeline said...

Oops, where is the link?

malinda said...

I added the link -- don't know where my brain was this morning!