Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Book Review: The Seven Chinese Sisters

Book Review by Maya, age 5

Book: The Seven Chinese Sisters
Written by: Kathy Tucker
Illustrated by: Grace Lin (our favorite!)

What this book is about: There are seven sisters who are all Chinese, and they each have their own talent. Like the first sister rides a motorcycle, and the second sister does karate, and the third sister can count high numbers, and the fourth sister can talk to dogs, and the fifth sister can throw a ball up really high and catch it, and the sixth sister cooks the best food, and the seventh sister does nothing because she’s just a baby! A dragon wants to eat baby sister, but the other sisters save her using their talents. And baby sister got her talent – saying words like HELP!

What I liked about the book: The best part was after they saved the baby and they all ate noodle soup. And I liked when the dragon smelled the yummy noodle soup.

What I didn’t like about the book: I didn’t like when the sisters were too busy to pay attention to the baby so the dragon could steal her. I didn’t like when the dragon grabbed her.

How the book helped me/What I learned: Everybody has their own special talent. And pay attention to your baby or a dragon will come and get it!

Grown-up note: I like that the seven sisters are all traditionally garbed in qi paos and then have such modern (and not very girly) talents!

4 comments:

PletcherFamily said...

This looks like a great book! We just got the 7 Chinese Brothers for our little boy from China. It is a great book too!

Anonymous said...

This is one of DD's favorites; she has a paperback copy. DD is almost 5, has been requesting The Seven Chinese Sisters as a bedtime story for at least a year now.

Jeff and Madeline said...

M likes and doesn't like the same things just about, especially the dragon stealing the baby--although she doesn't have a lot of sympathy for her not getting attention from her sisters--is that the only child in her? lol

Monkeys Mommy said...

My 4 y/o daughter loves this book!!!! We read it all the time. I think my DD is attracted to all the girls who look like her and have such interesting talents. I felt a little sad for the dragon in the end when he was hungry and they left him hungry, but then again he was about to eat the baby - so I guess I don't feel too sorry for Mr. Dragon.