Friday, November 12, 2010

Chinese Projects

Yesterday after school the girls both had projects to finish.  Zoe had to finish her poster for Chinese School:
It's for the annual speech contest, so not only did she have to write it all in Chinese characters and pinyin, she has to "speak it" in Mandarin and then in English.  The first third of the poster is about her age, grade, level in Chinese School, and that she likes Science but doesn't like Math.  The middle third is about food and sports -- she likes rice, but not duck; she likes swimming, but not football.  The final third is about what she did on summer vacation.  She didn't want to write about Florida, she wanted to share all about Chinese Heritage Camp. 

Not to be outdone, Maya had to finish a cute Thanksgiving project for school.  The kids were given the outline of a turkey, and were to disguise the turkey so he would make it through Thanksgiving without being eaten!
Maya's idea was to turn him into a panda bear, since surely no one would be having roast panda for Thanksgiving dinner!  She tore up miniscule bits of white and black tissue paper and glued them on, so he'd look like he had fur. She gave him a sprig of bamboo from our backyard and a Chinese coin necklace (raiding my scrapbooking supplies to do so!).  In the accompanying description, Maya wrote: "I am NOT a turkey because turkeys do not have fur. I am NOT a turkey because turkeys are not black and white. I am NOT a turkey because turkeys do not eat bamboo.  I am NOT a turkey because turkeys are not from China!"

As you can see from their smiles, the girls are quite proud of their projects.  As you can tell from the fact that I'm posting about them, so am I!

7 comments:

Jeff and Madeline said...

Great job girls!

Hey, I surprised myself--I can read the pinyin and actually understand it! So much for the characters, well...I got a few.

Anne said...

Love Maya's turkey panda!

Anonymous said...

Zoe says:That is amazing that you can understand it.I worked hard on it.Maya says:Thankyou!

Jeff and Madeline said...

I have been working with M for three years now so it must mean our home program is paying off!

Unknown said...

Great projects and beautiful smiles! And you should be a proud mama...I love completed project happiness too ;)

No Bamboozle said...

I enjoyed Maya's description of her Panda Bear. Her project is so loving.

Zoe's characters look bold and well written! Not that I can read Chinese characters, but I can see meticulous care in her writing.

Bravo!

Unknown said...

Wow..This is what i have been looking for and you have done a great job. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
Keep sharing more.
Scrapbooking Supplies