Wednesday, November 23, 2011

'Steve Jobs' & 'Blue Nights' Explore Abandonment & Adoption

ABC News looks at Steve Jobs' biography (I posted about it here)  and Joan Didion's memoir about her adopted daughter (which I posted about here), and discovers a common theme:
Didion agonizes about her parenting and Quintana's recurrent fear of abandonment and a failed reunion with her biological family. "Adoption," Didion writes. "I was to learn, though not immediately, is hard to get right."

Such fear also haunted Apple founder Steve Jobs, who died last month at the age of 56. In numerous interviews with family, friends and lovers, biographer Walter Isaacson unveiled the dark side of adoption in his life.

Jobs ultimately formed strong bonds with his sister, author Mona Simpson, but he refused to meet his biological father, despite the lifelong sense of loss.

* * *

Both bestsellers, "Blue Nights" and "Steve Jobs," expose an unspoken truth in the adoption world: Fear of abandonment is universal.
Reactions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Steve Jobs biography and I don't think it will end up on the PAPs required reading list from the agency.

No Bamboozle said...

I wonder why he refused to meet his Birth Father. Obviously, I haven't read the book.
Does it give the answer? It seems odd to "only" meet the females in his Birth Family, unless his Birth Father was not interested in a reunion. But that's not what I understand from the various articles written before this biography.

Anonymous said...

I'm only half way through. My best guess is that perhaps he felt because his father abandoned hid mother and daughter, after having already lost him to adoption, that he did not want to let him off the hook that easy. I have read they had minimal text conversations at the end though so who knows.

I am enjoying the book even though it is hard to read some parts if that makes sense.