Monday, July 4, 2011

What America Means to Me


After our annual 4th of July party and parade with our China adoption friends, this is what I asked the girls, "What does America mean to you?"  In fact, I wrote the question for each of them on a piece of paper, and numbered 5 lines -- cause that's the kind of mean mom I am!

Zoe went right to work, shielding her paper in the crook of her arm so Maya couldn't see -- cause that's the kind of mean big sister she is! Maya gave me a look kinda like this:


but eventually complied.  So this is what they came up with:

What America Means to Me
by Zoe

1.  We ended slavery and should respect that.

2.  In America, we should treat others with love and respect.

3.  We should keep our country safe and happy.

4.  America means freedom in our country.

5.  We should all be proud to be an American.

What America Means to Me
by Maya

1.  America means freedom.

2.  Friends

3.  Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a great American who helped make peace in the world.

4.  I'm proud of the soldiers who fight for America.
 
5.  I like that in America I can grow up to be whatever I want to be.  I want to be a fashion designer!

So how about you?  Did you have a great Independence Day?  Did you think about what America means to you?

No comments: