1. “This is how Susie became available for adoption.”I've heard far worse -- what would you add to the list?
2. “Don’t tell my kids, but [insert facts about your child’s origins here].”
3. “Race doesn’t matter. When we look at Kyle, we just see our son; we don’t see White/Black/Hispanic/Asian.”
4. “We’re Americans. Jenna may have been born in China, but she’s American now, and that’s good enough for us. We don’t really worry about all of that cultural stuff.”
5. “We used to celebrate our Irish background before the kids came along, but now we feel like we really have to focus on Ethiopia.”
6. Negative comments about your child’s birth family.
7. Invented facts about your child’s birth family.
8. “Asians are good at music, so we weren’t surprised when Jin’s violin teacher told us he could be a real prodigy.”
9. Disparaging comments about your child’s race or any other race.
10. “This is my adopted daughter, Grace.”
5 weeks ago