Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do YOU feel when you're the minority in the crowd?

At LIFEclectic, a parenting site, a Caucasian adoptive mom talks about attending an Ethiopian festival with her 2-year-old recently adopted from Ethiopia:
I was having a good time, but there was a teeny tiny part of me that felt a tad out of place being there. I didn’t have any real reason only my insecurity at being a white mom of an Ethiopian child. It felt like I was eavesdropping on a private conversation and it made me wonder what the other attendees were thinking, at least those who looked at us.
I'm usually snarky and mean, right? You expect me to rip her, right?

Nope, not gonna happen! How YOU feel doesn't matter, so long as you go outside your little comfort zone for your child, and that's what she did. Feel as awkward as you like, but don't use it as an excuse to avoid people of your child's race.

And remember those few moments you feel awkward in a crowd of people of another race? That's only a few moments. Likely your child lives that ALL THE TIME.

Isn't that reason enough to go?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

surprise, i agree with you on this one. as adoptive parents we owe our children the opportunities to meet and socialize with others. Others from as many cultures as possible. That way, doing the 'once a year' thing with our kids isn't 'different'. Every day is an opportunity to share diversity. And I'd take it a step further and say it's really about people of other races entering your circle of friends and social life. It's hard because it take effort but we invite people of our child's background over for many occasions. It's taken 5 years of friendship for them and us to get to this point. It takes effort.

Anonymous said...

Happy you enjoyed the post. LIFEclectic.com Team!

Anonymous said...

I felt this way at my first function. But now I have done it so many times that I rarely notice I'm the "only". Comfort zones are only expanded by being uncomfortable.

Sarah said...

Love this post so much.