Thursday, September 1, 2011

As if raising girls isn't hard enough. . .


As a new mom looking for a meeting-Santa outfit for my 13-month-old, I was SHOCKED at how sexualized little girl dresses were.  I kept thinking, "We want to meet Santa, not her pimp!"  And then there were the size 2T panties bearing the slogan, "Hottie!"  Who buys that for their two-year-old?  And the 4T camisole with the built-in bra?  Really?!

And, no, I'm not shopping at Frederick's of Hollywood -- try Target!

Once we passed toddler sizes, it got worse.  But now the attempts were not simply to make my children sexual objects, it was to make them DUMB sexual objects.  The tshirt, sized youth 8, at Marshalls that said, "Math Makes Me Dizzy!"  And now the tshirt pictured above from JC Penney -- in case you can't read it, or can't believe it actually says that -- it says, "I'm too pretty to do homework so my brother has to do it for me."  Great.

At stark. raving.  mad. mommy blog, you'll find her 8 Shirts You Won't See on My Daughters. You gotta see 'em to believe 'em!

And we need to reactivate the Barbie Liberation Organization -- the group that reversed the voice boxes of Barbies and GI Joes, so that GI Joe said "Math class is hard," and Barbie said "Vengeance!"

5 comments:

Mei-Ling said...

"The tshirt, sized youth 8, at Marshalls that said, "Math Makes Me Dizzy!"

I think I missed the Clue Bat. Can you explain the sexual implication here?

malinda said...

Mei-Ling, In american-speak that's a size for an 8-year-old girl sold at a mainstream retailer! And "Math Makes Me Dizzy" plays into every stereotype about girls a math and science that I don't want to pass on to my children!

Mei-Ling said...

I guess this is mostly American slang, as I'm still not getting it.

Math is a stereotype of Asian children, but I thought this post was about the *exoticism* stereotype.

*scratches her head*

Mei-Ling said...

P.S. I am not clothes-savvy, so the size thing is probably lost on me because of that, not because of how you wrote it. :P

malinda said...

Isn't the Asian stereotype, it's the girl stereotype -- girls can't do math, math is too hard, pretty is more important than smart. Grrrr!