Friday, July 27, 2012

The Olympics! Cheer For Who You Want to Cheer For

Well, we're only as far as the Cs in the Olympics parade of countries.  Gonna be a loooong night!  But the Cs brought China, so the girls had something to cheer about!  And that brought about our usual Olympics conversation of whether to cheer for the U.S. or for China.  Here's what I wrote about it last time, with reference to the time before:

Zoe and Maya want to give advice to those conflicted about who to cheer for in the Olympics, since they're experts on the issue, having dealt with it for the 2008 Summer Olympics:

Q: If you were born in one country and adopted to another country, and you were watching the Olympics, who would you cheer for?

Zoe: That’s a tough question. Because you might feel bad about cheering for some country where you don't live. But you’re also part of the country where you were born. You can feel sad and happy at the same time when one of your important countries loses and one of your important countries wins. It can make you feel like you’re doing something wrong if you cheer for one and not the other. Or you might feel bad if you’re not cheering for the place where you live.

My mom says people feel loyal to their country, and it can be hard if you have two countries. So I decided to cheer for all the countries important to me. I cheer for China, where I was born, and America, where I live now, and France since that’s where my Mimi comes from.

So that’s my advice to you if you are wondering who to cheer for in the Olympics. Cheer for all the countries that are important to you. I was really happy when Shaun White got a gold medal in snowboarding, and was excited when the Chinese figure skating couple won the gold medal, and I liked watching Florent Amodio from France skate, and I like that he was adopted like me.

Maya: You should cheer for who you want to cheer for, and not feel bad. Or you could cheer for China, France, and America, like my sister said.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It was a REALLY long night! These conversations sound very familiar! :) Last night similar sentiments were discussed & expressed in my family.

Reena said...

Yes a long night-- my little girls didn't make it to the parade of nations. In our house we have Chinese, Nicaragua, and the US interests. The little girls are definitely routing for China in every event they are able to watch-- as are we.

We cheer for who we want to cheer. We also tend to cheer for those sole athletes representing thier country for the first time in a sport and that kind of thing. All the athletes put so much into their sport and it all comes down to how they perform in a couple minutes (or less) on a given day.

Joanne said...

Mia asked me tonight, while watching the Olympics, "Is it ok if I vote for China too, since I'm China?", Of course it is!! I told her I do too :)

Mia said...

Haha! I was so excited when I heard next is china... I said: Team china!!! I watched Olympic with so many other people where I was the only one Chinese...but I lived american and France...too

Mia said...

Typed wrong: I meant, I loved America and France....

Abhiram Guruji said...

Thank you for sharing valuable information.
Visit Best indian Astrologer in Lake Louise.