Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Adoption & the College Application

OK, so you've decided to apply for college in Texas using the convenient Apply Texas online application, tag line "Many Schools, One Application."  How convenient! Things are going along swimmingly until you start on the scholarship application. They ask about your family -- no problem!  Unless you're adopted (I copied from the sample/preview application which is partially filled out, so ignore the information in the blanks!):

Information about your family

  1. With whom do you currently live?






  2. Marital status of the person(s) with whom you live:





  3. Biological Father's Information
    1. ORDeceased
    2. ORNot Applicable
    3. $ .00
      OR No Income
  4. Biological Mother's Information
    1. ORDeceased
    2. ORNot Applicable
    3. $ .00
      OR No Income
  5. Step Parent's Information
    1. ORDeceased
    2. ORNot Applicable
    3. $ .00
      OR No Income
  6. If you are living with someone other than a biological or step parent, please provide their information below.
    1. OR Deceased
    2. ORNot Applicable
    3. $ .00
      OR No Income
    Suddenly, we have a problem! How in the world is an adopted person supposed to fill this thing out?!

    The adoptive parent who pointed this thing out on an adoptive parent forum said wisely, "for many teen adoptees, questions about their biological parents raise lots of anxiety. Applying for college is stressful enough without insensitive and incorrect wording on the application adding to it."

    And I do think wording on school applications matters. When I applied to law school, one application asked for three character references, "preferably lawyers." I didn't know any lawyers. My family didn't know any lawyers. We didn't socialize with lawyers. I can tell you exactly how that question made me feel, because I remember it to this day: I didn't belong. I was not the kind of person who should go to law school. This particular law school didn't want me or my kind.

    And remember that I was applying to law school after applying to college -- fully an adult, older than the kids who will be filling out this undergrad application.

    So what do you think about the Texas application? Is it a problem for adopted kids?

    3 comments:

    Jenn said...

    They should have an "unknown" box, as well as deceased. It's not just adopted kids who don't always know one parent...

    Anne said...

    I agree, this is problematic. I would probably have my child fill out under the "biological" category -- with lots of discussion before hand. After all, I've already obtained a false birth certificate from the state of Texas!

    Truly Blessed said...

    Clearly this is a problem for adopted kids. I can't believe that an adoptive family hasn't complained about this before. Is this a new form?