Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sierra Leone: Adoptive Mother Speaks Out

I posted recently about birth parents in Sierra Leone looking for information about their children who were adopted to America without the parents' knowledge or consent.  At Parents for Ethical Adoption Reform (PEAR), an adoptive parent speaks:

Imagine my surprise, two weeks ago, I was reading a media report post by Ethica on Facebook. More often than not, I jump past these posts, but this one caught my eye, it was a Sierra Leone. We adopted our son from there when he was 4 years old, in 1998.

I read to the end of the story, and that is when my world stopped, and I felt like I had just been pulled under water, everything was silent, as I sat and stared at the screen in disbelief, re-reading the last two paragraphs over and over again, as if it would somehow change what I was reading:

"It's been nearly 15 years since Sulaiman Suma last saw his 4½-year-old daughter Mabinty and 3½-year-old son Sulaiman. Both are now young adults believed to be living in the United States.


"We want our children who were sold to these white people," Suma said. "We want to know whether they are alive or dead."

Sulaiman Suma is our son, who we adopted from Sierra Leone.
The adoptive mother is asking to hear from other parents who adopted from Sierra Leone in 1998.  And the adoptive mother has been through this before -- she discovered that her daughter adopted from Cambodia had been trafficked.

1 comment:

everythingismeowsome said...

What a nightmare.....for everyone!!