Saturday, April 25, 2009

Another list

2009 Inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
  • Jeff Beck
  • Little Anthony & the Imperials
  • Metallica
  • Bobby Womack
  • Run-D.M.C.
So why am I telling you this? Yes, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland, and yes, I played hooky from the conference to dash down there this morning -- really cool place. But that's not why I'm telling you.

It's because Darryl McDaniels of Run-D.M.C was the keynote speaker at the conference this evening. Why was a famous rap star a speaker at an adoption conference? He is an adoptee, who first found out he was adopted when he was 35. He now does lots of work with foster kids and works on adoption issues like open records. (If you saw his VH1 documentary, you know all of this, right?)

He was an extraordinary speaker-- really funny-- but his opening act almost upstaged him. The evening entertainment started with performances by a group of foster kids that was really fantastic. They read poems they wrote and danced to rousing cheers of the audience. McDaniels was there, and I can only imagine the thrill it was to perform for him. And when he performed at the end, he invited them all up on stage as back-up dancers and you should have seen those faces shine!

The song he performed with Zara Phillips, I'm Legit, is, believe it or not, about open adoption records. It's good, so click the link! (Really! I don't like rap, either, but I like this. I think you will too!)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Excellent tune!

And J watched the DMC Adoption Journey Rock Doc with me years ago when it was first broadcast. She LOVED it! She was only 5 at the time, but she followed and commented on the emotions caught by the camera as Darryl searched for his mother. She still asks me to find the "Just Like Me" music vid online so she can watch it. I remember that it just blew her mind that someone so rich and famous could feel the way she does.