Sunday, December 7, 2008

Book Review: A Dragon's Tale

Book: A Dragon's Tale and Other Animal Fables of the Chinese Zodiac
by Demi

Review by Maya

What this book is about: The book has stories about all the animals in the Chinese Zodiac. I'm a sheep, but the book calls it a goat. Zoe's a dragon. Mama's a rat.

What I liked about the book: I liked the stories about my animal and Mama's animal and Zoe's animal.

What I didn't like about the book: I didn't like the part where the frog was stuck in the well [The frog thinks his world is perfect, because he's only seen the small fraction visible from the well]. And there are too many stories, it got boring!

What I learned/How it helped me: I liked learning about all the animals in the Zodiac.

[Grown-up note: I'd suggest reading only a few stories at a time for the younger crowd. And I did some paraphrasing/shortcutting to keep Maya's interest even that long! She did like flipping through the book and looking at the pictures and just finding out about the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac.]

1 comment:

Jeff and Madeline said...

Thanks for the review!

Madeline has a similar book about the zodiac signs and she likes it pretty well. I may consider getting this one for her when she is older since we already have one, maybe she will want to add to the collection.